Multiflex logo

Baton Rouge

4880 Bluebonnet Blvd, Suite A Baton Rouge, LA 70809


345 Doucet Road #102, Lafayette, Louisiana 70503

Office Hours & Availability

Mon - Thurs 7:00AM - 5:00PM
Fri 8:00AM - 12:00PM

Call us Today

Baton Rouge: 225-295-1880

Lafayette: 337-988-7768

Multiflex logo

Call us Today

Baton Rouge: 225-295-1880

Lafayette: 337-988-7768


Below some common questions and answers.
What causes the musty odor in my house?

One word………. Water.  Water intrusion in houses may originate from point sources (roof leaks, plumbing leaks, etc…) or latent conditions, which may be difficult to diagnose.  With today’s sophisticated HVAC equipment installed in houses, it is important to have proper function and maintenance, as well as, compatibility of the HVAC equipment and the thermal envelope of the building.  Imbalance in these building features may lead to moisture development in the building with symptoms, such as musty odors, fungal growth, “cupping” of wooden floor surfaces, to name a few………..  Identifying the sources of water intrusion or development is key to solving this problem.

Are wall cracks in my house related to foundation problems?

Possibly, but don’t be fooled by advertisements from foundation repair contractors. Cracks in walls and ceiling are typically due to stress in the framing components caused by structural defects, differential settlement of the foundation, a combination of both conditions, or no problem at all. Therefore, perceived repair of one condition may not resolve the underlying condition causing the cracks in your building. A professional assessment of the whole property is recommended to diagnose the problem.

I think I have foundation problems, can you come take a look?

Absolutely! We’d be more than happy to visit your property and assess the situation. Our seasoned engineers will thoroughly inspect your foundation and the surrounding structures to pinpoint any issues that might need attention. If we come across any concerns, we’ll provide you with practical solutions and the necessary steps for repair.

Can you design my foundation?

Of course! Our talented team of engineers is well-versed in designing foundations for both residential and commercial buildings. We’ll collaborate closely with you to craft a personalized design that caters to the unique requirements and site conditions of your project. By adhering to local building codes and industry standards, we’ll ensure your structure remains safe and stable for years to come.

Why should I have a foundation designed by an engineer when my plan designer has a foundation designed included already?

Opting for a foundation design by a professional engineer guarantees that it’s specifically tailored to your building and site conditions. While your plan designer may provide a generic foundation design, an engineer delves deeper, analyzing soil conditions, potential settlement, and other factors that could impact your foundation’s performance. This attention to detail ultimately results in a more robust and enduring foundation.

Why do I need an engineer for a commercial swimming pool?

Enlisting the expertise of an engineer for your commercial swimming pool project is vital to ensure safety and compliance with local regulations. Engineers possess the knowledge to design and evaluate the structural, mechanical, and electrical components of the pool, guaranteeing proper functionality and durability. Additionally, they can address potential issues related to drainage, water quality, and energy efficiency, ultimately creating a secure and enjoyable swimming experience for all.

I’m remodeling house and I want to remove a wall, can you help?

Certainly! We’re here to help you assess the structural implications of removing a wall in your home. Our engineers will determine if the wall is load-bearing and guide you through the necessary steps to safely remove it without compromising your home’s integrity. This may include specifying temporary supports during construction and designing any required reinforcements or modifications to the existing structure.

I’m starting to see cracks in my house, what does that mean?

Cracks in your house can be caused by a variety of factors. Some of the most common causes include:

  1. Settling: Over time, all houses settle into their foundations, which can lead to small cracks. This is usually normal, especially in new houses.

  2. Temperature Changes: Different materials expand and contract at different rates. In areas with significant temperature swings, this can cause cracking.

  3. Moisture: High humidity, leaks, or poor drainage can lead to excess moisture, which can cause materials to warp and crack.

  4. Structural Issues: If the cracks are large, it could indicate a problem with your home’s structure, such as issues with the foundation.

  5. Poor Construction: If the house was not properly constructed, materials may fail and cracks can appear.

  6. Tree Roots: In some cases, large tree roots can push up against the foundation and cause it to crack.

  7. Earthquakes or Other Seismic Activity: If you live in an area prone to seismic activity, this could be causing the cracks.

You should monitor the cracks. If they are getting larger, or if you notice doors and windows becoming difficult to open or close, it would be a good idea to consult with a structural engineer or a professional home inspector to ensure there is no serious underlying issue causing the cracks.

Remember, the presence of cracks doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a major problem with your home. Many are simply the result of normal settling and changes in humidity. However, it’s always a good idea to monitor them and seek professional help if you’re concerned.

What do I do after flood waters recede from my home?

As soon as safely possible, remove all wet household items from the home, as well as, all damp gypsum board (“sheetrock”), wall insulation, carpet and wooden floor materials, cabinets, etc…..  Begin the drying process using air flow and air conditioning equipment in an effort to lower the moisture content in the building framing and building materials.  Caution:  Have an electrical system inspection performed by a licensed state contractor on the features of your house prior to any remediation work as safety is paramount during these times.  During remediation of flooded properties, mold growth may occur and, as such, respirators and eye protection are recommended.  Consult with professionals, prior to rebuilding because starting the reconstruction too early may trap water inside your house.

Does Southeast Engineers perform on-site field assessments?

We are proud to offer our clients on-site field assessments in an effort to diagnose building problems and provide our opinion on reasonable, cost effective measures of repair.  Collectively, our staff has inspected thousands of buildings for the purpose of diagnosing and identifying causation factors associated with building defects.

I’m starting to see cracks in my house, what does that mean?

Cracks in your house may indicate structural damage due to age, shifting of the foundation or even exposure to extreme weather conditions. It could also be caused by poor workmanship or inadequate materials during the construction of the house. If the cracks are bigger and more serious, it would be a good idea to contact an experienced building inspector who can assess the damage and advise you on the necessary repairs.

My floor tiles are cracked, do I have foundation problems?

Cracked floor tiles can suggest foundation issues, but they might also stem from other factors like poor installation, subfloor movement, or natural settling of the structure. It’s important to consult an expert who can evaluate the situation, identify the cause of the cracked tiles, and recommend suitable repairs or remediation measures.

I was just quoted a lot of money to repair my foundation from a company, is this really necessary?

Before committing to an expensive foundation repair, it’s wise to seek a second opinion from an independent engineer. They can offer an unbiased evaluation of the issues and determine if the proposed repair is truly necessary and cost-effective. In some cases, more affordable alternatives may be available to address the underlying problem.

Does cracked bricks mean I automatically have foundation problems?

While cracked bricks can be an indication of foundation problems, they might also arise from other factors such as thermal expansion, settlement, or inadequate support. It’s essential to have an experienced engineer or building inspector evaluate the situation, determine the cause of the cracked bricks, and recommend suitable repairs or remediation measures.

How much does it cost to get an engineer to come out?

Our pricing starts at $500 for general consultation.

” Southeast Engineers has continually gone above and beyond our expectations and their experience in handling the needs of our growing company is peerless.”


Make an Appointement

Have An Engineering Project?

Contact Michael, he’d love to talk with you about your project!

Schedule A Consultation

Starting a project? Start it right with a structural assessment and foundation design
Consultation Request

About Southeast Engineers

Southeast Engineers is a market leader in a wide range of engineering services. From engineering design to plan development, permitting, and construction management, Southeast Engineers has the expertise and commitment to assure success in commercial, residential, and site development projects.


Contact Southeast Engineers

Southeast Engineers
4880 Bluebonnet Blvd, Suite A
Baton Rouge, LA 70809

345 Doucet Road #102, Lafayette, Louisiana 70503